2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup
2 sticks butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
1 tsp Baking soda
6 quarts unseasoned popped popcorn
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Divide the popcorn between two large bowls. Oil two lipped cookie sheets very well and set aside.
2. In a deep saucepan combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt, and cream of tartar. Insert candy thermometer. Bring to a boil and cook the mixture over medium heat for about five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the thermometer registers 260 degrees F. (hard ball stage).
3. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in baking soda. The mixture will foam. Pour the syrup mixture over the popcorn, half into each bowl. Work quickly to coat all the popcorn with the caramel.
4. Spread popcorn evenly on the cookie sheets and bake for one hour, stirring three times.
5. Remove from oven and spread on wax paper to cool, breaking up the larger pieces, if necessary. Store in airtight containers.