Man who assaulted cops sent to prison

Defendant grabbed police officer's gun during investigation.
Cary Ashby
Mar 13, 2014


A man who grabbed a police officer's gun during the investigation of a domestic violence complaint was sentenced to 14 months in prison Tuesday.

The prison term for former Plymouth resident Daniel C. Loera Jr., 38, most recently of 614 Fink St., Willard, was part of a joint recommendation between the state and T. Douglas Clifford, Huron County chief assistant public defender.

Loera will serve the 14 months at the same time he does a 105-day sentence through Norwalk Municipal Court for domestic violence. He was sentenced March 5.

"This was a pretty serious incident," Huron County Prosecutor Russell Leffler said. "We believe 14 months is an appropriate sentence."

When officers respond to a domestic violence call, he said they statistically are at the most danger compared to any another type of incident. Leffler said it's fortunate the Nov. 20 incident didn't turn out any worse than it did.

Plymouth Police Officer Krystal Kessler, Detective Cameron Dailey and the defendant all were transferred from the scene to a local hospital. The officers' injuries were non-life threatening.

About 11 a.m. Nov. 20, police responded to a domestic disturbance on West Broadway Street. The incident happened right around the corner from the police station, but Loera wasn't home when officers arrived. Deputies from the Huron and Richland county sheriff's offices assisted the Plymouth Police Department.

"We received a second call and the caller said, 'He's back,'" Chief Charles Doan said earlier.

Officers responded and attempted to contain Loera in a white van. He wouldn't exit the vehicle and when Dailey attempted to assist Loera from the van, Loera charged Dailey and Kessler, police said.

Loera had Kessler on the ground, beat her and then attempted to flee, police said. Witnesses said Dailey then fired three or four shots at the defendant.

"The defendant had been on a bit of a bender," said Leffler, who praised the thorough investigation by agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation who processed the crime scene.

On March 4, Loera pleaded guilty to one count of assault on a police officer in exchange for the state dismissing a second, similar charge.

"I'm very sorry this happened," Loera said Tuesday. "This could have been prevented. ... It's my fault it happened; I'll pay the circumstances for what happened."