Space heater catches wall on fire in Norwalk residence

Fire caused $5,000 worth of damage.
Aaron Krause
Jan 12, 2014

A space heater being used to thaw pipes caught a wall on fire at a Reed Street residence, causing about $5,000 in damages but no injuries, Norwalk firefighter Ben Luxon said.

The Norwalk Fire Department responded to the call a little after 5:17 p.m. with four trucks and used about 300 gallons of water to extinguish the fire, Luxon said. They fire was controlled at 6:30 and firefighters departed at 6:34.

According to a report, firefighters arrived to find contents on fire in the kitchen/bathroom area. The fire was extinguished in single-digit temperatures using a 1 3/4 inch attack line.

Luxon said chances are more pipes will freeze as the winter progresses. He urged people to be careful while using space heaters to thaw frozen pipes.

Comments

rickross2

Nice headline

ladydye_5

*agreed*

Gossipgirl

Proof read. Proof read. Proof read. Enough said? I am glad there were no injuries.

gene44870

This has turned out to be one of the worst winters , it sure has taken its toll on everyone and everything ..All we can do is hope we are in for an early spring

Kingsin

Heck Gene- its all Global Warming don't you know. Next month 80 degrees, and march will be fall time once again. Then we'll get the tropical hurricane in April- followed by the monsoon and mudslide at Hogans Hill in June- then we freeze over again come July...