One-vehicle injury crash closes State Route 2

Woman sustains serious injuries, flown by LifeFlight to Toledo hospital.
Norwalk Reflector Staff
Apr 25, 2013


The Sandusky post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating a one-vehicle injury crash that happened at 11:25 a.m. today on State Route 2 on the Edison Bridge in Erie County.

Due to the crash, SR 2 was closed for the purpose of landing Life Flight for about 20 minutes.  

Sandra L. Welch, 42 of Castalia, was driving a Chevy HHR west on SR 2 when she lost control, striking the median barrier wall, trooper said. The vehicle then re-entered SR 2, overturned and slid off the right side off the roadway, striking the opposite barrier wall. The vehicle then came to rest on its wheels.

Welch sustained serious injuries and was transported by ground ambulance to Magruder hospital. Welch was later flown to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo. She was not wearing her seat belt at the time of the crash.

The HHR which sustained heavy damage and was towed from the scene by Maags towing.

Assisting agencies included Lakeside Fire and EMS, Danbury Township Police Department and St. Vincent LifeFlight.

Alcohol was not believed to be a factor in the crash, troopers said. Crash continues to be under investigation.



Says that Rt 2 was closed for the purpose of landing life flight....then says she was transported to Magruder by ground ambulance, and later flown. So why was Rt 2 closed for life flight if it she was flown after being taken to the hospital?


Maybe because her injuries were far too severe and she had to be transported before life flight could arrive.


Does it really matter? I hope she's ok


Life Flight can get them ready quicker than any ambulance...I agree with ladydye


It was too windy to land life flight on the bridge.


I was there yesterday as the first vehicle before entering the bridge. I also have a scanner in my vehicle and watched and listened to Lifeflight for over 35 minutes trying to land on the crest of the bridge where the accident happened. He couldn't land because of the high winds. I watched him circle with landing gear down for over 35 minutes and finally they decided when the person was removed from the vehicle to transport to Magruder Hosp.