no avatar

Do you want to be reunited with your forgotten money?

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Jun 18, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Ohio Department of Commerce Director Andre T. Porter urges Huron County residents to join in the 2014 Unclaimed Funds Treasure Hunt by checking the Tuesday, June 17 issue of the Norwalk Reflector. By checking the newspaper advertisement, readers can find out if they are entitled to unclaimed funds turned over to the Ohio Division of Unclaimed Funds in the past year.

If you don't receive home delivery of the Reflector, copies of that issue are still available at the front desk of the office, located at 61 E. Monroe St., Norwalk.

Unclaimed funds are money or the rights to money that have been dormant or forgotten. Some common examples include: dormant checking and savings accounts, forgotten rent and utility deposits, uncashed checks, undelivered stock certificates, and uncashed insurance policies.

“The Department of Commerce Division of Unclaimed Funds is committed to reuniting Ohioans with their hard-earned money. Check the Huron County list to see if you, your family or your friends have unclaimed funds,” said Director Porter. “This money can help Ohioans buy a tank of gas, pay off some bills, make a needed home repair or even expand a business which means jobs for Ohioans.”

In Fiscal Year 2013, the division paid 53,580 claims worth approximately $69.2 million. The average claim was for $1,292.

The Huron County advertisement will include 630 unclaimed funds accounts worth $263,154.29. The advertised accounts, each valued at $50 or more, were turned over to the Division within the past year for individuals whose last known address was in Huron County. The advertised names will appear in alphabetical order by the owner’s last known city and then in alphabetical order by the owner’s last name.

Huron County Information For All Accounts (Includes Those Being Advertised and Other Accounts):

Total number of Huron County accounts: 21,157

Value of Huron County accounts: $2,309,028.04

Division Superintendent Yaw Obeng said Ohioans without Internet access can write to the Division of Unclaimed Funds and provide the full name(s) to be researched, along with the counties in which the person(s) might have resided. The Division’s address is 77 South High Street, 20th Floor, Columbus, OH, 43215. Anyone with questions about unclaimed funds can call the Division toll free at 1-877-644-6823 (OHIO UCF).

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos