Norwalk man at center of controversial raid is arrested
May 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM
A Benedict Avenue man, who found himself at the center of controversy after a March 25 raid at his residence, was arrested Thursday on a felony drug warrant.
John Collins, 25, of 114 1/2 Benedict Ave., was taken into custody without incident at 9:30 a.m. by Huron County Sheriff's Office deputies.
During the March 25 raid, Collins had said a number of his personal items had been damaged, a claim that was dismissed by an outside investigator recently.
The warrant for Collins on Thursday, which was signed by Norwalk Municipal Court Judge Eric Weisenburger, was for possession of cocaine, a fifth-degree felony.
Deputies had seized Collins' marijuana pipes on March 25.
"Those pipes tested positive for cocaine," Chief Deputy Ted Patrick said about the crime lab results. "Collins had admitted those were his pipes he had used for marijuana."
Collins had said at the time of the raid, according to his phone app, he had been clean for several months.
"I think the evidence speaks for itself," Patrick said.
Deputy Brad Polachek made the arrest. He was assisted at the scene by Patrick and Lt. Chris Stanfield.
"We knocked and a female answered the door," Patrick said. "Collins came downstairs, saw Deputy Polachek and was upset she had let us in.
"Mr. Collins was instructed to get dressed and was taken to jail," he added.