Cops: Man came to wife's jobsite before manhunt

Cary Ashby • May 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM

A Willard man accused of threatening to shoot his estranged wife must post a $15,000 bond before being released from custody.

William A. Faulkner, 53, of 144 Ohio 99, was arrested without incident Monday afternoon -- hours after a manhunt that required the evacuation of nearby residents. He is charged with menacing by stalking, a fifth-degree felony, which is punishable by six to 12 months behind bars.

The situation started when the Norwalk Police Department received a call at 9:49 a.m. that Faulkner was headed for the Chicago 29 Hair salon in the Norwalk Korners Plaza off Milan Avenue.

"He was there before they opened at 8:55, pounding on the door and they obviously wouldn't let him in and he eventually left," Capt. Dave Smith said. "There was also a complaint where he was trespassed from that business property stemming from April 2 of this year."

Police went to the salon Monday and had the customers leave. Then they waited there, making sure no one else entered the business. About 10 or 10:15 a.m., officers requested the assistance of the Huron County Sheriff's Office in locating Faulkner since he lives outside Norwalk.

Faulkner apparently threatened to go the salon "with an AK-47 and shoot his wife," Detective Sgt. Josh Querin said. "The Norwalk Police Department told us he said he had plenty of ammunition."

Sheriff Dane Howard has said the focus of the manhunt was taking measures to make sure everyone was as safe as possible.

"We had a lot of resources out there," he said. "We took all the precautions we could."

For several hours, authorities closed Ohio 99 near Troy Mills Road and Ohio 99 near Bauman Road and had residents evacuate their homes near where they were searching for Faulkner.

Willard Police Chief Mark Holden, several Willard officers, Willard Fire & Rescue and a Richland County tactical team responded to the scene.

Slightly after 2 p.m., deputies found the suspect walking down North Greenfield Road, 1 to 1 1/2 miles from Faulkner's home.

"Mr. Faulkner was taken into custody without any issues. He was not armed at the time," Querin said. "He appeared to be pretty intoxicated."

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos