Disoriented suspect determined to have huffed from aerosol can

Cary Ashby • Dec 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

A Collins man faces several charges in connection with being disoriented while carrying an aerosol can Wednesday in Norwalk.

Kane M. Ortman, 21, of 3702 DeRussey Road, was reported to be disoriented while walking on West Willard Avenue, Norwalk Police Capt. Eric Hipp said in his report. The 9-1-1 call came into dispatchers at 5:02 p.m. and the complainant said it appeared the suspect was intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.

"While responding to the area, another 9-1-1 call was received, advising the male was lying on the ground and (was) unresponsive. Upon arrival, the male was walking down the street carrying an aerosol can," Hipp said.

Police identified the subject as Ortman and charged him with abusing harmful intoxicants, obstruction of official business and resisting arrest.

Norwalk firefighters responded to the scene at 5:05 p.m. The crew provided basic life support until they transferred patient care to North Central EMS upon their arrival. Paramedics transported Ortman to Fisher-Titus Medical Center.

Police forwarded reports to the Norwalk Law Director's Office and Ortman's Norwalk Municipal Court probation officer for the consideration of charges.

This isn't Ortman's first drug-related run-in with local authorities.

During a July 1, 2012 injury crash, the state Highway Patrol's Norwalk post determined Ortman's blood was positive for marijuana usage. The patrol reported he tested at 10.32 ng/ml. The legal limit for drivers in Ohio is 5 ng/ml.

Ortman was sentenced to a 30-day term in the Huron County Jail for driving under the influence. As part of his two years of probation, he had his driver's license suspended for six months starting July 9, 2012, according to Norwalk Municipal Court records.

He also was charged with failure to control after his vehicle hit a tree and caught fire on Jericho Road. Citizens Ambulance transported Ortman and his passenger, Michael A. Price, who was 17 at the time, to Fisher-Titus Medical Center with minor injuries.

In September 2011, Ortman and Aaron M. Friel, now 20, each received a six-month jail term for animal cruelty convictions for an incident the previous month.

Prosecutors have said the pair dug a hole at the Collins residence where Ortman lived at the time, tied a 2-year-old yellow Labrador retriever to a nearby fence post and beat him to death with a shovel.

Recommended for You