Shooting victim remains in serious condition

Cary Ashby • Nov 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

A Willard woman who suffered an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound last week remains hospitalized at a Toledo hospital.

Misty L. Wiseman, 35, was in serious condition in the intensive care unit of Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said. She also said Wiseman's condition hadn't changed since she arrived at the Toledo hospital.

"She's still incubated and heavily sedated," Huron County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Ted Patrick said Sunday.

Willard Fire & Rescue transported the victim from her home at 4299 Sherman Norwich Road on Thursday night. A medical helicopter later flew Wiseman to Mercy St. Vincent.

Huron County Sheriff Dane Howard and four deputies responded to Sherman Norwich Road after receiving a call from about the shooting at 10:06 p.m. Thursday.

Patrick said Wiseman's boyfriend, Jeffrey M. Branham, 38, called for assistance when he was in another room in the house. No telephone number was listed for Branham.

"They both had been in the same room. She exited the room. They were watching TV and shortly thereafter, he heard a gun shot," Patrick said.

"She was not alert (upon arrival)," said Howard, who was one of the first officers on the scene. "I was out on another detail and I was nearby."

Deputies interviewed Wiseman's boyfriend at the scene.

"We're waiting to speak to her," Patrick said, referring to Wiseman.

The victim was shot once in the upper leg with a 12-gauge shotgun, which deputies recovered.

"It's a single shot (gun) from my understanding. It was one shotgun shell inside," Patrick said.

Detective Kayla Zander was scheduled to interview Wiseman, who had been under heavy sedation, this weekend at the hospital. However, Patrick said the interview will have to wait, but in the meantime, deputies are "going to be cautious" and "cover every base" in the ongoing investigation.

Agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation helped the sheriff's office process the scene. Howard said authorities were at the residence until the early hours of Friday morning and were treating the area as a crime scene as a proactive measure.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos