no avatar

UPDATE - Man convicted on all counts in taped rape case

Wire • Mar 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

The evidence against Duane Crider was overwhelming and upset hardened prosecutors who’ve seen their share over the years.

Crider's rape of a woman was caught on audio tape, as the victim had placed a phone call for help to a police non-emergency line.

The crime earned Crider 23.5 years in prison after a jury convicted him of two counts of rape, two counts of sexual battery, two counts of kidnapping and gross sexual imposition. The charges are for raping the same woman on Sept. 1 and 2.

Prosecutor Juergen Waldick referenced the tape multiple times during the trial and again at sentencing.

“I cannot possibly imagine and I cannot remember hearing a case, hearing something like this on tape, that is more graphic and more disturbing than what we’ve heard,” Waldick said.

Crider, 50, who fired his lawyer more than halfway through the trial, said he will appeal.

“It’s not justice when you railroad somebody,” he said. It was a phrase he repeated often.

Waldick and Judge Jeffrey Reed read Crider’s previous record, which included a 1986 conviction of attempted corruption of a minor involving a 14-year-old girl. He served a prison sentence for that crime. He also was convicted in 1988 of two counts of attempted sexual imposition, both misdemeanors, involving a 6-year-old child.

After realizing his chances at mounting a defense were gone, Crider began making statements that disrespected the court and parties in the case. Some of these comments were heard by jurors.

“I don’t care what the evidence showed or was planted,” he said during his closing argument.

During his defense presentation, Crider called to the stand one of his daughters and current wife to try to show authorities were framing him. He had the two women testify his DNA was easily accessible since he routinely masturbated in his basement.

Crider’s DNA was found with his rape victim.

Also during the trial, Crider was allowed to walk around the courtroom while handling his own defense. He struggled to follow proper courtroom procedure, prompting Judge Reed to frequently take time to explain.

Crider asked to stop his trial numerous times, saying he wasn't given enough time to prepare.

But the trial continued. Waldick played six minutes of the recording during his closing argument, impacting the jury again with his strongest evidence.

The victim is heard begging Crider to stop.

“Please stop … stop it, please stop. … It hurts,” she said.

Crider’s voice is heard telling her, “Just relax.”

The victim placed the call when she realized Crider was about to attack her. She begins the call screaming hysterically. She was separated from her cell phone during the attack, but the call remained connected for police to hear and record.

Waldick turned off the recording after six minutes, telling jurors he would spare them the additional 12 minutes — even though Crider didn’t spare the victim anything.

“He ignored (her) cries, and he ignored (her) pleas,” Waldick said. “Now it is your turn. I ask that you not ignore her and that you find that man guilty.”


By Greg Sowinski - The Lima News, Ohio (MCT)

©2013 The Lima News (Lima, Ohio)

Visit The Lima News (Lima, Ohio) at www.limaohio.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services

Recommended for You