Ex-Monroeville cop accused of kidnapping, raping girl, 17

Cary Ashby • Oct 31, 2012 at 9:22 PM

DELAWARE, Ohio -- A former Monroeville police officer and local paramedic is accused of taking an Indianapolis-area teenage girl he met online back to his Ohio apartment and raping her.

Scott V. Cisco, 47, of Sunbury, turned himself into the Sunbury Police Department on Thursday night. Traci Whittaker, spokeswoman for the Delaware County prosecutor's office, said the suspect had gotten word that officers were at his South Vernon Street apartment.

"I guess that he figured the best thing he could do was turn himself in," Whittaker said.

Police said officers went to Cisco's apartment after the girl, a 17-year-old from the Indianapolis area, escaped and called for help when Cisco went to work Thursday.

"He worked at a local tavern in Sunbury," Whittaker said.

Sunbury is in the southwest corner of Delaware County and is 15 to 20 miles north of Columbus.

It's unknown how long Cisco and the girl had been chatting online before the suspected kidnapping and rape.

Sunbury police said they think Cisco drove to Indiana to get the girl Wednesday and held her against her will in his apartment.

"It looked to be a garage converted into an apartment," said Whittaker, who declined to say if the victim traveled with Cisco willingly from Indiana. "Until grand jury meets, I'm limited in my details (I can provide)."

Cisco is charged with one count each of kidnapping with sexual motivation and rape. Each first-degree felony is punishable by three to 11 years in prison and a maximum fine of $20,000. If convicted of rape, Cisco would be classified as a sex offender.

The next Delaware County grand jury session is Wednesday.

"There is a potential for more charges," Whittaker said, referring to potential charges through the grand jury.

Cisco is being held in the Delaware County Jail in lieu of posting a $250,000 bond. Whittaker said the defendant isn't allowed to have any contact with the victim, who is back in Indiana, and is prohibited from using alcohol and illegal drugs.

From June 7, 1993 through his resignation effective Dec. 31, 1994, Cisco was a part-time officer in Monroeville.

"He was a part-time employee kinda working toward full-time status," Monroeville Police Chief Gary Lyons said.

Cisco also worked for North Central EMS, where he was a full-time paramedic from July 1989 until he resigned in September 2001.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Reporter Laura Arenschield, of The Columbus Dispatch (MCT), contributed to this story.

Recommended for You