no avatar

Shelby family ousted after bedroom fire

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Oct 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM

SHELBY — A Shelby family has been living with neighbors across the street since an attic fire did about $35,000 worth of damage to their home.

Bruce and Rosemary Blevins and their two sons, of 3991 Hazelbrush Road, should be able to return home after repairs have been made to the damaged "family dwelling," Plymouth Volunteer Fire Chief Tim Redden said.

Two Shelby firefighters assisted eight Plymouth personnel with the March 2 blaze in the finished attic that was being used as a bedroom, he said. The fire was caused by a scented candle.

"Nobody was home, so there was no injuries," Redden said. "We had the fire out in about two hours time."

Most of the damage was to the bedroom, but the fire chief mentioned there was "some smoke and water damage" to the kitchen area below it.

Recommended for You