no avatar

Portable heater causes minor structure fire

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Oct 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Thirteen Norwalk firefighters responded to a South Old State Road structure fire Friday morning that caused an estimated $3,000 worth of damage.

The owner was thawing pipes in a crawl space with a diesel-fueled portable heater directed through an exterior opening at the time. The heater ignited the wood access door to the crawl space, with flames extending up the exterior wall, Capt. Tom Frey said in his report.

Firefighters had the fire under control within about five minutes of arriving at 10:21 a.m.

Frey said firefighters had to take out part of the exterior wall, about three feet by six feet in size, to check if the fire had spread. There were no injuries.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos