no avatar

Electrical short cause of Corso's fire

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Oct 29, 2015 at 12:51 PM

SANDUSKY - Investigators determined Thursday's fire at Corso's Flower & Garden Shop in Perkins Township was started by an electrical short in the wiring of a potting building.

State fire marshal investigators weren't giving a final number, but said the damage total is more than $1 million. "They're going back to that," Perkins Township Assistant Fire Chief Bill Hodges said.

On Thursday morning, a Perkins scene commander estimated the blaze caused about $1 million in damages, but that number was reduced later to between $400,000 and $500,000. Hodges said last week the figure could vary as the investigation continued.

Investigators finished their probe Monday afternoon.

The fire, reported at 5:55 a.m. Thursday by an East Perkins Avenue farmer, started in the northeast corner of a potting building and spread to a soil building and greenhouse on either side. The potting building, which housed plants to be sold or shipped, burned to the ground. Corso's workers were not able to get out about two-thirds of the machinery that often was kept there overnight.

The soil building was gutted and sustained significant visible damage.

No one was injured. Between 40 to 45 total firefighters eventually responded and had the blaze under control in about an hour.

Hodges said "there's nothing ... at all" indicating the fire was suspicious.

Recommended for You