FEB. 19, 1934
The top stories in the Norwalk Reflector-Herald on this date 73 years ago:
Fire damages confectionery place
Damage that may cost as much as several hundred dollars resulted from a fire that broke out at 1 a.m. today in the basement of the Sugar Bowl, a confectionery establishment conducted by James Bats in the Jenkins Black at Whittlesey and Monroe streets.
While the flames did not prostrate to the main part of the store, the smoke filled the entire establishment and is believed to have damaged or ruined the major part of the stock.
The fire was caused apparently by an overheated furnace. At about 2:30 a.m., N.C. Newman of the Women's Exchange, who lives in a suit of rooms over that establishment, noticed the odor of smoke. He was unable, however, to locate the source.
Norwalk High and Saints tangle in second intra-city battle on Wednesday
Wednesday night Norwalk's two high school basketball teams will meet for the second time in the current season, this week's game being played in Norwalk High's auditorium.
It will be remembered that last season the parochial cagers walked away with the city title for the first time since athletic relations were started between the schools.
Norwalk High has already partly avenged those two setbacks the Saints meted out last season and will attempt to finish the job on Wednesday evening.
Brother writes of how fire consumed house
Mrs. Harry Breckenridge has received word from her brother, Gibson Rose, who lives at Fort Thomas, Ky., that his home was totally destroyed by fire last Friday, notwithstanding the fact that the firemen worked desperately in aero weather to save the burning structure.
The strain of toil, the fret of care.
The Rev. C.H. Gross at St. Paul's Episcopal Church delivered an inspiring sermon the subject of Nahman the Leper who went about his daily tasks despite his affliction and who was finally cured by bathing seven times in the River Jordan. The Rev. D.E. Scott and the Rev. W. Shields took part in the services.
Compiled by Andy Prutsok