no avatar

Chargers strike early in win over Plymouth

By JOE GILROY • May 8, 2018 at 10:45 PM

MILAN — Survive and advance is the mantra this time of year.

The Division III sectional tournament began on Tuesday as Edison hosted Plymouth in the Lexington district.

In a matchup of even teams based off seeding and records, it was Edison taking advantage of a throwing error by the Big Red in the first inning of a 7-3 win.

With the victory, Edison improved to 12-9 overall and now travels to top-seeded Clear Fork in Friday’s 5 p.m. sectional championship game. The Big Red fell to 11-12.

With two runners in scoring position after the throwing error, Alana Fidler doubled into the gap to score both runs for the Chargers.

The tone was set, and Edison never trailed the rest of the way.

“We won and that’s always a good thing,” Edison coach Troy Keegan said. “We took advantage of their mistakes today and that was the big thing, because earlier in the season we may not have been able to do that.

“We have lost some games where we have runners on and just couldn’t get them home,” he added. “We smacked the ball pretty good, but we can still improve.”

Morgan Scott went 2 for 4 at the plate with an RBI and scored two runs to lead the Charger batters. Hannah Vitaz, Leah Krull, and Brooke Yates all had two hits apiece and Krul and Grace Howser both had an RBI.

Lindsey Fortuna earned the win for Edison, striking out five batters, walking none and allowing three runs (one earned) on six hits in seven innings.

“We made too many mistakes in the field that we have to clean up if we want to advance further,” Keegan said. “I thought Lindsey started out rough in the first few innings and then got going and had a lot of movement on her pitches.”

Mallory Miller pitched all six innings for Plymouth and allowed seven runs (four earned) on nine hits. She struck out nine and walked one.

Miller helped her own cause with two hits and the team’s lone RBI when she plated Kelsey Blankenship in the final inning.

Miller, Emily Akers, and Tristen Wiley shared the team lead with two hits each. Wiley and Akers each scored a run on an Edison fielding error in the sixth inning.

The most telling stat aside from four errors was the six runners that Plymouth left on base.

“It hurts right now, and the girls are sad, but I am proud of them for not giving up and playing hard to the end,” Plymouth coach Tracy Arnold said. “We had runners on base and in scoring position, but we just couldn’t turn them into runs.

“I told the girls to remember this feeling and get better because of it,” she added. “We still have four games left and will return everyone next year — our future looks bright.”

Norwalk Reflector Videos