Louis Kalt overcome with the heat, dies almost instantly
Louis Kalt, the well known brass founder, died at 5:30 o’clock Friday afternoon at his place of business on Milan Street, from the effects of the heat, without any warning.
He had just run off a heat of metal and was sitting on a box talking with some friends, when he suddenly fell forward and expired almost instantly.
Mr. Kalt was born in Norwalk, June 27, 1854, and with the exception of a short time, his entire life was spent in this city. He was married April 21, 1888 to Miss Josephine Ruffing, of Bismarck, who with a young son and a daughter, and one sister, Mrs. W.A. Peat, survives him.
He was an exemplary citizen and a kind, indulgent and devoted husband and father, and it was heartrending this morning to see the little boy, who had been his father’s constant companion, clinging to his mother and calling to his “papa” to come back.
The deceased was universally liked and respected and he will be greatly missed by a large circle of acquaintances.
J.F. Meek, of Townsend, was in town Thursday afternoon and was a caller at this office, says the Bellevue Gazette.
Mr. Meek is a contractor and builder and has been busy this season erecting barns and other buildings north of town. He is the father of George Burton Meek, the first Ohio man killed in the Spanish-American War, who was killed at the battle of Cardenas Bay, May 11, 1898.
Mr. Meek’s only remaining son, Frank L. Meek, is in the United States Navy and is a sailor on board the first-class battleship Indiana, now supposed to be at Taku, China. The boys come from fighting stock, as the father is a veteran of the Civil War, having been a member of the 8th O.V.I.
Going out of business
After having been in active business for the past 45 years, 28 of which have been in Norwalk, and my health not being the best for the past year, I have concluded to retire from active business and in doing so I wish to thank my many customers, consisting of business men, farmers and fruit growers, for their liberal patronage and fair and honorable dealings. Although I may never enter into active business again, I hope our social relations will be as pleasant hereafter as our business dealings have been heretofore.
Having sold my business on Seminary Street to Mr. R.B. Jacobs, I ask for him the same liberal patronage you have bestowed upon me in the past. I remain yours respectfully,
The house at No. 109 Milan Street, occupied by the families of William Cherry and Mrs. Kate Meyers, was badly damaged by fire this forenoon, the entire upper part of the building being ruined.
The fire department was delayed in getting the alarm, but the boys did excellent work after they arrived on the scene. The fire caught in some manner from the chimney.
The building is owned by A.W. Bennett, of Colorado. It was insured for $1,000.