Robber gets two years in prison

Zoe Greszler • Jun 4, 2016 at 7:00 PM

A Willard man was sentenced to more than two years in prison after pleading guilty to taking part in a robbery.

Jeremy Robinson, 25, most recently of 1033 S. Myrtle Ave., was sentenced to two years, plus the remainder of his 180-day probation sentence. He was credited for already serving 157 days.

“We realize any time you have a robbery, it’s a serious matter. Jeremy (has told) me that when he he went along with this guy he knew there was going to be some bad stuff going on, but he didn’t know there was going to be a robbery until there was one,” Huron County Public Defender David Longo said. 

“He said he thought this was going to be more about an argument about honor and about respecting one another. He didn’t know there was going to be a robbery.”

Longo said Robinson cooperated fully with police and stopped when he was being pursued, unlike his co-defendant who ran to Louisiana. 

“I think had the NO-BARS program been here six months ago we wouldn’t be here today. He himself has been saying he didn’t want to be on suboxone long term,” Longo added.

Robinson pleaded guilty to robbery in exchange for prosecutors dismissing one count of tampering with evidence. Huron County Prosecutor Davia Kasper said the defendant took off the bandanna he wore and attempted to hide it in a Willard police cruiser.

“He was on probation at the time of this case for a felony drug case,” she added.

In late May 2014, Huron County Common Pleas Judge Jim Conway granted Robinson’s motion for intervention. But on July 20, 2015, the judge determined Robinson violated his probation and he was convicted of one count each of possession of heroin and possession of cocaine.

The Huron County Sheriff’s Office coordinated an Oct. 16, 2013 controlled drug buy. Authorities arrested Robinson and two other suspects after a buy-bust on Walton Avenue in Willard.

In the Dec. 17 robbery, Robinson and a male co-defendant went to a Willard residence “to beat somebody up,” Kasper said.

“They had bandanas (on) to cover their faces,” the prosecutor added.

The pair entered the home in the middle of the night and confronted two people who were there. Robinson’s accomplice pulled out what appeared to be a handgun and demanded the victims “give them all their money,” Kasper said.

After the suspects left, the victims called 9-1-1. Kasper said when the Willard Police Department arrived, officers saw the suspects running and identified Robinson from the description they had.

“When Robinson was arrested, he had his bandana pulled down (off his face),” Kasper said. “Robinson was found with a bag with $468 in cash and a small baggie of marijuana.”

Norwalk Reflector Videos