logo



Woman burned trying to put out fire

Zoe Greszler • Updated Jul 25, 2018 at 11:42 PM

A woman was injured after bedding caught fire in her basement Monday.

The Norwalk Fire Department responded to 723 Townline Road 151 for a reported basement fire at about 4:39 p.m. Once firefighters arrived on scene, they found “a haze of smoke” coming from the back door of the home, coming up from the basement. 

Firefighters found a mattress with clothes and blankets around it had been burning in the basement. According to the report, the fire was started by a candle that had been set on the nightstand nearby, causing about $4,500 in damage.

The flames were mostly extinguished by a woman living there, the report said, however, the firefighters said she was burned a couple times in the process and had to be taken to Fisher-Titus Medical Center for further treatment. 

The department removed the mattress ventilated the home.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos