Our area in northern Ohio must have been upbeat 180 years ago at this time. A new newspaper, the Reflector, had issued its first edition on Feb. 2, 1830, and appeared to be a success. Of course, we know that it was; it is still publishing, and you're reading it at this moment.
Owners of the new project were Samuel Preston and George Buckingham. The latter gentleman had been a co-owner of Norwalk's very first newspaper, the Reporter. The Reporter ceased to exist in 1830. The Firelands Historical Society preserves an original file, which has also been microfilmed and is available at the public library.
The first Reflector office was in the second story of a mercantile building at 9 W. Main St. Samuel Preston's daughter, Lucy, married Frederick Wickham in January of 1835. Samuel soon bought the lot at 38 W. Main St. (next to the present public library), and in the summer of 1835 began building a building there. This building was completed and occupied in 1836, and since being moved in 1954, houses the museum of the Firelands Historical Society.
It was planned that the Prestons and Wickhams would occupy the first floor and basement, with the newspaper office on the second floor. There are marks in the flooring said to have been made by the Stanbury press used in the earliest time. A year or so into the venture, the editor announced that the paper being used was "homemade" in Norwalk by the Norwalk Manufacturing Company.