Western Reserve Land Conservancy has permanently protected two more properties totaling 66 acres in Lorain County. They include a tract originally owned by Amherst's first settler and a farm adjacent to where a fossilized mastodon skeleton was unearthed in the 19th century.
In Amherst, the Historic Shupe Homestead, owned by William, Diane and Matthew Nahorn, was permanently preserved through the donation of a conservation easement, according to Andrew McDowell, director of the Land Conservancy's Firelands field office.
The 15-acre property can trace its history back to 1816, when the first settler in Amherst, Jacob Shupe, purchased property on the banks of Beaver Creek. Designated as a Lorain County historical landmark and listed on the Ohio History Inventory of Historical Properties, the property contains critical floodplain forest and older growth forest. It plays an important role in maintaining the water quality of Beaver Creek.
The Schupe house, constructed in 1810 in Greek Revival style, is still used as a residence. It is the oldest frame house in Amherst and an Amherst historical landmark.