A Wooster Street couple and their two children lost everything after a blaze re-ignited in their attic more than nine hours after it first hit.
Nobody was injured in the fires, which took place Friday evening and early Saturday morning at 94 Wooster St.
(NOTE - To view pictures of the fire, click HERE.)
However, Edward Gibson, his wife, Breann, their 11-year-old daughter and 3-months-old son, find themselves homeless and bereft of all their possessions, neighbor Mark Mullins said.
The Gibsons were renting the house and had just moved in about a month ago. The family did not have renters insurance.
The American Red Cross was able to secure a motel room for the family on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Today, the family is unsure where they will go, Mullins said.
"They're a little torn up," he said. "We're trying to get all the help we can get for them."
Mullins said the family can use clothes and baby clothes as well as household items. People who wish to donate can drop off items at his house at 92 Wooster St., Apt. A. If he's not home, people can leave the donations outside his door.
The blaze was caused by an electric problem, Norwalk Fire Department Lt. Jamie Starcher said.
Firefighters were called to the Wooster Street home at 5:48 p.m. to extinguish a structure fire. They arrived to find smoke billowing from the attic vents and the eaves. Flames also could be seen.
Starcher said he wasn't sure how much water was used to attack the blaze, but the flames were put out and firefighters returned to the station at 7:27.
However, firefighters were notified that the fire had rekindled just after 2 a.m. Saturday. They arrived to find heavy smoke showing from the roof. The Milan Township Fire department provided mutual aid to the station for coverage. Firefighters were on-scene this time until 4:45 a.m.
A damage estimate was unavailable Sunday evening.
The Gibsons were inside the home the first time the blaze struck, but were not there when it re-kindled, Mullins said.