JUST LIKE OLD TIMES - Norwalk's four corners had special purpose

When the village of Norwalk was platted by Elisha Whittlesey in 1816 he dedicated each corner lot at "the square" for a special purpose. The southeast was reserved for a courthouse and the fourth courthouse on that spot stands there. The northeast corner was set aside for a jail, while the northwest corner was marked for an academy or college and the southwest corner was to be used for a meeting house or church.
Norwalk Reflector Staff
Jul 24, 2010

When the village of Norwalk was platted by Elisha Whittlesey in 1816 he dedicated each corner lot at "the square" for a special purpose.

The southeast was reserved for a courthouse and the fourth courthouse on that spot stands there. The northeast corner was set aside for a jail, while the northwest corner was marked for an academy or college and the southwest corner was to be used for a meeting house or church.

Read the rest of this story in Today's Reflector...