An accused sex offender was one of 13 defendants who was indicted recently by a Huron County grand jury.
William R. Moore, 43, of Mansfield, is charged with two counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor in connection with incidents on Feb. 6 and March 22. He also faces one charge of tampering with evidence stemming from a Feb. 6 offense. According to the indictment, the victim was 14 at the time.
Moore appeared in Huron County Common Pleas Court for his arraignment, where he entered "not guilty" pleas to each of the felonies. The defendant told Judge Jim Conway he currently isn't on probation.
"Mr. Moore doesn't have any prior felonies," Huron County Public Defender David Longo said.
The defendant, whose trial date is July 8, must post a $20,000 bond before being released from the Huron County Jail. If he posts bail, he is prohibited from having any contact or association with any non-family member under the age of 18, can't have any contact with the victim or be on a Daniels Road, Willard, premises.
If convicted of the unlawful sexual conduct charges, Moore would be required to register his address for the next 25 years as a Tier II sex offender.
The grand jurors met Friday and the following indictments were released today:
• Aaron H. Arnold, 26, of 80 Norwood Ave., Apt. 1D, on possession of heroin in connection with a March 27 incident.
• Kyle Barker, 25, of 100 12/ W. Main St., Apt. C, on one count each of possession of heroin and possession of criminal tools in connection with a March 27 incident.
• Jamie R. Barnett, 22, of 208 1/2 Park St., Willard, on receiving stolen property in connection with a Jan. 28 incident.
• Tyler C. Branham, 24, of Willard, on theft from the elderly in connection with a Jan. 28 incident. He pleaded "not guilty" Monday and a has trial date of June 19. He is prohibited from having any contact with the victim or be on the person's premises if he posts a $15,000 bond.
• Eric L. Carroll, 21, of Pleasant Street, on failure to register as a sex offender in connection with an April 5 incident. Longo said the defendant's underlying conviction is a misdemeanor which was adjudicated through juvenile court and may not have required registration.
Carroll, whose trial date is July 1, denied being wanted on a failure-to-appear charge through Kentucky. He must post a $5,000 bond before being released from jail.
• Joseph C. Chaffee, 24, of 75 Norwood Ave., Apt. 1, on two counts of possession of heroin in connection with incidents on Jan. 25 and 30. He also faces one count each of possession of oxycodone and trafficking in heroin stemming from respective offenses on Jan. 25 and 30.
• Tiffany N. Fritz, 25, of 632 Rae Court, Apt. 34, Willard, on receiving stolen property (credit card) in connection with a May 1 incident. Her trial date is Aug. 14 and the court set her bond at $10,000.
"She's actually not in jail on our case," Longo said Monday.
• Ethan W. Spiggle, 21, of Vickery, on trafficking in oxycodone in connection with a Feb. 28 incident.
In other action, the grand jurors transferred the following cases to Norwalk Municipal Court for possible prosecution on first-degree misdemeanors:
• Merv E. Johnson, 41, of 396 W. Broadway St., Plymouth, on assault in connection with a March 17 incident.
• Kathleen McVeigh, 67, of 2486 Ohio 18, on obstructing official business in connection with an April 23 incident.
• Shawn K. Smith, 34, of Sandusky, on assault in connection with a Feb. 19 incident.
• Marcus A. Thornsberry, 22, of 124 Dale St., Apt 1, Willard, on assault in connection with a March 26 incident.