Local couple escape house fire

Electricity blamed on blaze that caused $20,000 worth of damage.
Cary Ashby
Mar 26, 2014

An electrical fire started a blaze in the back of an Oxford Township couple's home Monday.

"There were two people at home. They both got out," Milan Township Fire Chief Brian Rospert said.

The female resident noticed a breaker tripped in the breaker box and she notified the man who lives there.

"As he came downstairs, she said, 'I smell smoke,'" Rospert said.

When the man went outside to investigate, he saw smoke coming from the roof at the back of the house.

"They called the fire department immediately," Rospert said.

Twenty firefighters in four trucks responded to 3203 W. Ohio 113 after being dispatched at 9:44 p.m. Rospert said the crew entered the back of the home and noticed the fire was above the drywall in the ceiling.

"We took out the ceiling and knocked down the fire," he added.

Firefighters, who were on scene until 11:30 p.m., had the fire under control in less than 30 minutes. The blaze caused about $15,000 worth of damage to the structure and nearly $5,000 in damaged contents.

"We contained it to the room of origin. It was located in the back of the structure. It definitely was electrical," Rospert said.