Dog helps save family in fire

Mom and children able to escape burning apartment, thanks to family pet.
Cary Ashby
Oct 12, 2013

 

A mother, her children and pet were able to get out of their burning apartment uninjured thanks to the family dog alerting them.

Lt. Tony Schaffer, of the Bellevue Fire Department, said Monday's blaze at 225 S. Buckeye St., Apt. 1, started at an electrical outlet where a "princess" night light was plugged in upstairs. The fire caused about $5,000 worth of property damage and another $1,000 to the contents.

The mother, Danielle Poling, reported she and her children were downstairs when the dog barked and notified them of the fire, Schaffer said. Nobody was upstairs.

The family and dog exited the apartment and called 9-1-1. Police dispatched firefighters at 9:38 p.m.

Schaffer said firefighters saw flames in an upstairs window when they arrived and upon entering the building, there was light smoke on the first floor. There was moderate smoke on the second floor.

Firefighters used positive ventilation to air out the apartment. Schaffer said the crew checked to see if the fire extended elsewhere, but it hadn't.

The crew was at the scene until 10:57 p.m.

Poling and her children's current living arrangements are unknown, but Schaffer said the Red Cross wasn't called to the scene.

Bellevue resident Kendall Shepherd is the owner.