New London owners undecided about future of building

Building houses Pizza Explosion.
Heather Chapin-Fowler
Aug 11, 2013

It appears the Yoder brothers are not planning to demolish their downtown New London building that was deemed uninhabitable last month.

But final plans, as of now, are not definite.

Standing outside of the corner business building, Melvin Yoder said he couldn’t discuss specifics on the building’s future, but his family has obtained quotes to repair it. More importantly, the Yoder haven’t obtained any quotes on tearing it down, he also said.

Since it is a joint business venture, Melvin Yoder said he will go along with whatever decision his younger brother Simon makes. “I’ll do whatever he wants to do,” Melvin Yoder said.

Last month, Village Administrator Shawn Pickworth was asked to look at an area on the building which formerly housed Pizza Explosion where a section of the brickwork was separating from the wall on the upper story along North Main Street.

Read complete story in Monday's Norwalk Reflector.
 

Comments

Dusty

Rt 60 been closed for a long time for nothing to be done to the building. The detor takes you around the railroad overpass. That can't be helping any of the down town business's.

buckeye15

That is bogus that Simon and Melvin can keep a state route closed and cut off access to all those other nearby businesses. But hey, the indecisions of the 2 outweigh the needs of the many...right Winnie?

dagwood52

Simon and Melvin aren't the ones keeping it closed. What the Reflector doesn't report is that the DOT said the decision is ultimately one the village needs to make and that Route 60 will be closed as long as the village says so. There is no mention of the owners of the building. Years ago,another building was falling and the village brought in a crane that night and knocked it down at the owner's expense. Apparently, that isn't happening this time around. The building looks as if it could be repaired and is in the National Registry of Historical Places which is complicating things.

dagwood52

Simon and Melvin aren't the ones keeping it closed. What the Reflector doesn't report is that the DOT said the decision is ultimately one the village needs to make and that Route 60 will be closed as long as the village says so. There is no mention of the owners of the building. Years ago,another building was falling and the village brought in a crane that night and knocked it down at the owner's expense. Apparently, that isn't happening this time around. The building looks as if it could be repaired and is in the National Registry of Historical Places which is complicating things.