Preschool goes on lockdown

U.S. marshals, Richland Co. deputies use warrant at Norwalk home.
Cary Ashby
May 8, 2013


Authorities with the U.S. Marshals' and Richland County sheriff's offices used a search warrant Wednesday morning at a residence near the intersection of League and Baker streets.

It's unknown if any arrests were made or what the circumstances were since authorities from both agencies didn't return calls Wednesday afternoon. Officials with the Norwalk Police Department and Huron County Sheriff's Office said the incident had nothing to do with their respective agencies.

The incident happened near the Norwalk Catholic School (NCS) Early Childhood Center.

NCS President Wayne Babcanec arrived at the school slightly after 9 a.m. He said he spoke to one officer who reported authorities had made an apprehension by the time he arrived. Babcanec was called when school employees reported seeing a lot of police in the area starting about 8:55.

"(The officer said) there was no danger to anybody in the school," he said. "We're not sure what happened. ... I'm not sure who all was involved."

Cindy McLaughlin, the childhood center director, initiated a lockdown as a safety precaution. Babcanec said school officials locked all the exterior and interior doors and the students stayed in their classrooms.

"I was notified by Cindy McLaughlin. ... We did not get a heads-up," he said. "Nothing happened that involved the school."

The school sent home letters to parents and family about the lockdown situation.

"The kids were never in any danger," Babcanec said.



its always best to expect the worse in these sititions and take the steps the school took to ensure child safety , Good Job


I'm one paragraph they are unsure if there where any arrests but then in another paragraph someone was apprehended? And if no one knows the circumstances then how can one be sure the kids were in no danger?


The Reflector could not get confirmation of an arrest, but Mr. B said an officer said there was. (Heresay) It's likely the Marshal Service would have warned the school had there been a credible threat to the children's safety. I'm sure they are aware of what the circumstances were.