Trial starts for suspected rapist

Norwalk man accused of committing several sex-related felonies.
Cary Ashby
May 1, 2013

It took attorneys all day Tuesday to seat a jury for a former Norwalk man accused of committing several sex-related felonies.

Sandusky resident Norvell T. McIntire, 45, faces one charge each of rape, gross sexual imposition, attempted gross sexual imposition, importuning and public indecency. Huron County Public Defender David Longo is representing the suspect while Huron County Assistant Prosecutor Jennifer DeLand is representing the state.

Attorneys have said they expect there to be three days' worth of evidence. Opening statements were scheduled for this morning in Huron County Common Pleas Court.

"We anticipate the alleged victims will (testify)," Longo said during a previous hearing.

If convicted of rape, McIntire faces three to 11 years in prison and would be classified as a Tier III sex offender. That classification would require him to register his address for the rest of his life.

A conviction on gross sexual imposition is punishable by six to 18 months behind bars. The two felonies cover incidents involving the same girl.

In the importuning case, McIntire faces six to 12 months.

Once this trial is completed, Judge Jim Conway will schedule a bench trial for McIntire. He is charged with two more felonies of importuning in connection with what officials have called a separate "bicycle incident" Aug. 25 on Cline Street.

McIntire is accused of soliciting two 14-year-old local girls who were riding their bikes about having sex, police said.

"They wanted to get away from him. He actually hugged them," Norwalk Police Detective Sgt. Jim Fulton said soon afterward. "They got away from him."

Moments after McIntire was arrested, another young girl shared a sex-related allegation with Fulton. The detective said the girl suspected McIntire sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl at a Grove Avenue apartment -- one of two places in Norwalk where he had lived.

McIntire, who is out on bond, turned down an undisclosed plea deal earlier this month. He is prohibited from having any association or communication with anyone under the age of 18.

Comments

CorrectUrFacts

It's about time they do something to him. He's been getting off these kind of charges for years. Lock him up & let the other inmates take care of him.

sport24728

Agree. He's been doing this type of stuff since he was in HS. Enough is enough. Some people belong behind bars. Goodbye.

Martha Stewert

out with the trash!

FlowerMom

Finally he gets taken to trial. A Norwalk problem for years and years. WHY IS HE OUT ON BOND?

Mother hen

About time, now lets see if our legal system really works.

TheLegend

This guy is an absolute scumbag! I am surprised an angry father hasn't already tried to strangle him!

jennytalia

45 and still trying to diddle little kids. Time for a dirt nap, it really is the only solution.