Ohio teens’ rape trial will be open to public, judge rules

Case has gained national attention for the role social media played in exposing the incident.
Wire
Jan 31, 2013

Two high school athletes charged with raping a 16-year-old girl in a case that has gained national attention for the role social media played in exposing the incident will face trial in open court, an Ohio judge ruled Wednesday, rejecting requests it be closed to the public and media.

Judge Thomas Lipps also refused defense motions seeking to move the trial out of Steubenville, but he did agree to delay its start one month, until March 13. On that day, Trent Mays and Ma’Lik Richmond, both 16, are to go on trial in juvenile court for the alleged rape of the girl, who witnesses and prosecutors say was too drunk to speak coherently or stand up on her own.

During some of the alleged assault at a high school party last August, the girl was unconscious, according to witnesses who testified at a hearing in October to determine whether there was sufficient evidence to press charges.

Lipps’ refusal to close the trial was a blow to the defense and the family of the girl. The girl’s family said they wanted to protect her privacy; the boys’ attorneys said witnesses would be intimidated if they had to testify in open court. Last week, Walter Madison, who is defending Richmond, withdrew his motion to close the trial, saying a change of venue would serve the same purposes in reassuring witnesses — many of them high school students — called to testify.

In Ohio, juvenile cases are not automatically closed to the media and public. Asked how his client was managing the barrage of publicity about the case, which was the focus of a recent “Dr. Phil” show, Madison said he was “doing the best he can.”

“He’s 16 years old and being thrust onto the world stage, before I guess any juvenile could be prepared,” Madison said.

Attorneys representing local and national media had argued during a hearing Friday the case should be open to prevent the sort of rumor-mongering and misinformation defense lawyers say has cast their clients and Steubenville in a poor light.

The case has divided the city of 18,000, with some residents saying the accusations and media coverage have unfairly portrayed them as Neanderthals. Others say the failure of witnesses to stop the alleged assault or come forward with pictures or videos of it suggest they were more interested in protecting the town’s football culture and its star athletes than seeing justice done.

In his decision to keep the trial open, Lipps noted the names of the defendants and details of the case already were in the public realm and the alleged victim’s name also had been made public by some media. He noted there have been “community rumors” and “misinformation” circulated — a problem the judge said could be curbed by keeping the case open.

In rejecting the change of venue, he said that because the defendants live in Jefferson County and the alleged crime occurred there, the trial should be held there. “The local community is interested in this case that occurred in their midst,” the judge said in his ruling.

———

By Tina Susman - Los Angeles Times (MCT)

©2013 Los Angeles Times

Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services