JUST LIKE OLD TIMES - Story of Plum Brook goes back 200 years

We read and hear frequently of the Plum Brook facility, which NASA operates just south of Sandusky. From 1955 to 1973, Plum Brook was the site of one of the largest nuclear test reactors ever built. This reactor's job was to study the effects of radiation on certain materials that might be used to build a nuclear aircraft. The story of Plum Brook goes back to the arrival of the first Americans in the area almost 200 years ago. They gave the name of Plum Brook to a stream that runs through the southeast quadrant of Perkins Township and then north and east to empty into Sandusky Bay. The area under discussion is west of U.S. 250 and south of Bogart Road. It developed into an excellent farming area and was a typical rural community with churches, a community cemetery and a Grange Hall.
Norwalk Reflector Staff
Jul 25, 2010

 

We read and hear frequently of the Plum Brook facility, which NASA operates just south of Sandusky. From 1955 to 1973, Plum Brook was the site of one of the largest nuclear test reactors ever built. This reactor's job was to study the effects of radiation on certain materials that might be used to build a nuclear aircraft.

The story of Plum Brook goes back to the arrival of the first Americans in the area almost 200 years ago. They gave the name of Plum Brook to a stream that runs through the southeast quadrant of Perkins Township and then north and east to empty into Sandusky Bay. The area under discussion is west of U.S. 250 and south of Bogart Road. It developed into an excellent farming area and was a typical rural community with churches, a community cemetery and a Grange Hall.

Read the rest of this story in Today's Reflector...