JUST LIKE OLD TIMES - Norwalk's First Baptist Church nearing 190

Norwalk's First Baptist Church is fast approaching its 190th birthday, dating its official organization as Jan. 28, 1819, though informal meetings had been held several months earlier. The congregation has worshipped at its present location since 1836, with the present building having been completed and dedicated in 1880. The Rev. Jeremiah Hall was pastor of the church only from March of 1845 until September of 1846, but he had a decided effect on Baptist education in Norwalk and elsewhere. In 1845 the Methodists were operating the Norwalk Seminary in a building which stood where the Main Street School now stands. Methodist interest in this school was waning, however, as there was little room for expansion and Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware was drawing support from all over the state. Accordingly, the Methodists closed their Norwalk Seminary in January of 1846.
Norwalk Reflector Staff
Jul 24, 2010

 

Norwalk's First Baptist Church is fast approaching its 190th birthday, dating its official organization as Jan. 28, 1819, though informal meetings had been held several months earlier. The congregation has worshipped at its present location since 1836, with the present building having been completed and dedicated in 1880.

The Rev. Jeremiah Hall was pastor of the church only from March of 1845 until September of 1846, but he had a decided effect on Baptist education in Norwalk and elsewhere. In 1845 the Methodists were operating the Norwalk Seminary in a building which stood where the Main Street School now stands. Methodist interest in this school was waning, however, as there was little room for expansion and Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware was drawing support from all over the state. Accordingly, the Methodists closed their Norwalk Seminary in January of 1846.

Read the rest of this story in Today's Reflector...