A family has been displaced, but no one was injured, after a 55 State St. house fire Wednesday night that caused about $35,000 of property damage.
"A fire spread from the patio to the side of the structure into the attic. The flames were quickly extinguished. It was found that the owner set a hot fryer on the patio and ignited the house siding," Norwalk Firefighter Timothy Lucas wrote in his report.
"They are staying with one of their parents," Chief Doug Coletta said.
The family had been cooking french fries in grease prior to the incident reported at 10 p.m.
"It started smelling pretty bad, so they took it out back," Coletta said.
The fire started on a bench on the wooden deck of the house and went into the attic after damaging the siding, Coletta said. It was under control within 10 to 15 minutes.
"It was an old house" so it was not designed to stop fire from spreading from room to room, the chief said.
The fire department estimated the property is worth about $100,000. Lucas' report indicates about half of the contents, valued at $30,000, were damaged.
The 11 firefighters returned to the station at 11:24 p.m.