Moonves resigned Sunday while an outside investigation into the accusations is being conducted by a pair of law firms. King believes it’s important for the results of that confidential investigation to be disclosed.
“I’m sick and sick of the story and sickened by everything that we keep hearing. But the part you mentioned about transparency is very disturbing to me because I would think, how can we have this investigation and not know how it comes out?” King said Tuesday on “CBS This Morning.”
“Les Moonves has been on the record; he says, listen, he didn’t do these things, it was consensual, that he hasn't hurt anybody's career. I would think it would be in his best interest for us to hear what the report finds out,” she continued.
“On the other hand, you have women who are coming forward, very credibly talking about something that’s so painful and so humiliating. It’s been my experience that women do’'t come out and speak this way for no reason. They just don’t. They just don’t do it. And so I don’t know how we move forward if we don’t, we at CBS, don't have full transparency about what we find.”
Six women initially came forward to accuse Moonves of misconduct in a report published by The New Yorker in late July. Four of those women accused Moonves of forcible kissing or touching, while all six said they believed rejecting his advances hurt their careers.
It was later revealed that another woman had gone to authorities in February with a sexual abuse case accusing Moonves of committing three offenses during the 1980s, but Los Angeles prosecutors didn’t pursue the case after deeming the statute of limitations had passed.
An additional six women then came forward with misconduct claims against Moonves in a second New Yorker report this past Sunday, with two of the women claiming he forced or coerced them into engaging in oral sex with him. Moonves has denied the accusations, claiming he had consensual relationships with three of the women.
“I have never used my position to hinder the advancement or careers of women,” Moonves said in a statement to the magazine. “In my 40 years of work, I have never before heard of such disturbing accusations. I can only surmise they are surfacing now for the first time, decades later, as part of a concerted effort by others to destroy my name, my reputation and my career.”
Moonves resigned shortly after the new allegations surfaced. If the ongoing probe determines CBS didn’t have the right to push him out, Moonves could receive a $120 million package from the network.
King wasn’t the only prominent CBS employee to speak out following Moonves’ exit. Talk show host Colbert — who has previously called for "accountability" after the initial allegations against his former boss emerged —addressed the new report by The New Yorker during his opening monologue Monday on “The Late Show.”
“The article is extremely disturbing and I’m not surprised that that’s it. Moonves is gone," he said, before making a reference to comedian Louis C.K.’s controversial recent return to the stand-up stage following misconduct claims against him. “For at least nine months, until he does a set at the Comedy Cellar.”
(c)2018 New York Daily News
Visit New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.