Five candidates are now in the running for the Norwalk City Schools superintendent position.
Board president John Lendrum said 16 people originally applied to replace Dennis Doughty, who is retiring July 31 after 38 years in various positions. Ten people returned applications requesting an interview. Of those 10 individuals, board members plan to interview five.
"We've got five people that are strong enough that we feel they deserve to be interviewed," Lendrum said. "That's a pretty good number."
Lendrum declined to name them. He said as of Friday afternoon, board members haven't been able to contact all five and he'd rather they hear from board members before they read it in the newspaper.
Board members will meet in executive session at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in the administrative offices to interview those candidates. Lendrum said not all five will necessarily attend Tuesday, since they may not be available. According to an announcement of the meeting, no other business or formal action is expected.
Lendrum said board members will probably have to conduct a second round of interviews.
Lendrum said with 3,000 students, Norwalk City Schools is a large district for a rural community. Therefore, board members are looking for someone who's had previous administrative experience that "would move them into the next step."
Lendrum said board members want someone who can lead the district, continue its "excellent programs" and is capable of thinking strategically and help the district continuously improve.
"We want to be a top performing district," the board president said, so the candidate chosen will have the vision and capability to lead Norwalk City Schools to that point.
Here is the list of those who applied to be the next Norwalk City Schools superintendent:
• Curtis M. Clough, superintendent, Strasburg Franklin Local Schools.
• Patrick Colucci, superintendent, Ashtabula Area City Schools.
• Milton V. Folson, principal, Northridge Middle School, Northeastern Local School District, Springfield, Ohio.
• Fred M. Fox, superintendent (contract ending July 31), Huron City Schools.
• Sandra S. Goodsite, assistant superintendent, Norwalk City Schools.
• James A. Millet, school administrator, Riverside Local Schools.
• Geoffrey G. Palmer, special assistant for transition, West Geauga Local Schools.
• Jerry P. Skiver, No present job listed; Last job listed was interim superintendent, St. Marys City Schools.
• Christine A. Standring, curriculum director, North Point Educational Service Center -- Huron City Schools.
• Scott P. Will, superintendent, Ashland Crestview Local Schools.
• Timothy J. Winland, superintendent, Paint Valley Local Schools.
To find out more about each of those candidates, click HERE.