'Clean now' or still using drugs?

Cary Ashby • Apr 25, 2014 at 9:07 AM

A Willard man stipulated Wednesday there is probable cause he violated his probation.

Bradley C. Jones, 40, will be held in the Huron County Jail without bond until his next hearing, May 19.

"This is Mr. Jones' second probation violation. He continues to use illegal drugs," Huron County Assistant Prosecutor Daivia Kasper said.

The defendant's underlying convictions are possession of heroin and trafficking in heroin.

His attorney, Huron County Public Defender David Longo, provided a different perspective than the state.

"He hasn't reverted to using heroin -- his original addiction," Longo told Huron County Common Pleas Judge Jim Conway. "He's clean now. He was honest with them at the jail."

Jones is serving a 20-day sentence for criminal trespassing. The Willard Police Department investigated the April 17 incident.

In his felony cases, Jones was sentenced May 16, 2012 to 17 months in prison.

On Dec. 10, 2012, Conway granted the defendant early released and as part of his three years of probation, Jones was ordered to complete the Teen Challenge program. Teen Challenge is an intensive, year-long, Christian-based treatment program for people of all ages with life-changing addictions.

On March 25, 2013, the judge ruled Jones was "unable to complete the Teen Challenge program, but in lieu agreed to complete a community-based corrections facility," according to court records. Defendants spend four to six months in a CBCF, a form of prison which focuses on substance abuse treatment and education.

About two weeks before that ruling, Jones reportedly tested positive for drugs moments after a court hearing. Longo said Wednesday the state later dismissed a related probation violation.

Jones' recent convictions was for a Dec. 21, 2011 incident when the Huron County Sheriff's Office and Bellevue Police Department raided a Bellevue hotel. Deputies seized a large amount of heroin, some prescription pills, suspected marijuana and various drug paraphernalia as evidence.

In late July 2010, Jones was sentenced to three years in prison for swallowing heroin immediately after a drug bust.

About four months earlier -- within four days of each other, he sold a total of nine heroin balloons to the same confidential informant for $945. About three hours after the last transaction, area drug investigators arrested Jones at his home while using a search warrant. On March 12, 2010, corrections officers found five balloons and a partial one out of its wrapper in Jones' cell during a search. They determined he gave the heroin -- after it went through his body -- to five inmates, one of whom was a female co-defendant in an adjoining pod.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos