Electric furnace starts fire

Cary Ashby • Mar 31, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Heat from an electric forced-air furnace sitting on the floor is believed to have started an office fire at Didion's Mechanical near Bellevue.

Ten Bellevue firefighters responded to the County Road 308 business at 3:10 a.m. Saturday. The crew arrived with an engine, tanker and two utility vehicles and had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes.

Upon arrival, firefighters saw light smoke coming from the fixed mobile home, which had been turned into an office building. Their report indicates the owner used two 20-pound fire extinguishers to knock down part of the fire before first-responders arrived.

The blaze was contained to a small office and burned between the floor joist for about 15 feet. Firefighters estimate the fire caused about $15,000 worth of damage to the structure, which is valued at nearly $50,000. There was about $10,000 worth of damage to the contents, which were worth an estimated $40,000.

According to the report, the 9-1-1 call first went to Huron County before being routed to Sandusky County and finally the Bellevue Police Department. Firefighters received the call at 3:05 a.m.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos