Resident 'real lucky' chimney fire didn't engulf Milan home

Aaron Krause • Feb 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM

By the "grace of God" a chimney fire Thursday night remained confined there and caused no damage or injuries, Milan Fire Chief Brian Rospert said.

He said the resident, Charity Robinson, was watching the Olympics at her South Edison Drive home when she heard her smoke detector go off and then smelled smoke. She looked at the fireplace pipe outside the wall and it was glowing red.

She was able to get herself and her dog outside quickly, Rospert said.

"They were real lucky," Rospert said.

Twenty six firefighters and five trucks from the Milan Township Fire Department responded and found smoke. They put the fire out within 15 minutes, Rospert said. There was no damage and nobody was injured, Rospert said.

He estimated firefighters used 75 gallons of water. Firefighters were on scene from 11:32 p.m. to 1 a.m., Rospert said.

The fire was caused by a build-up of creosote, a by-product of a fire that accumulates in a chimney, Rospert said. He said when people burn wood, that by-product can cause chimney fires.

"People really need to stay cognizant of keeping their chimneys cleaned," Rospert said.

The chief also stressed the importance of working smoke detectors.

"Smoke detectors are your first defense (against) a fire," Rospert said. "Every resident should have at least three smoke detectors."

Recommended for You