no avatar

Man rescues his dog from burning house

TNS Regional News • Jan 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM

“Missy,” an 11-year-old German Shepherd, nuzzled with her owner, Perry Northrop, hours after the pair survived a harrowing night at their 1827 W. Fourth St. home.

Northrop said he was on the couch in his first floor living room when he smelled smoke. He said he got up and realized there was thick smoke in the house and tried to get Missy out the front door, but they got separated.

He said he thought the dog went upstairs so he went to find her, but the fire downstairs was growing out of control, so he knocked out a second floor window, crawled out on the roof and jumped to the ground.

Northrop said he then went back in to the house and finally located the dog near the front door, but the fire was growing in intensity so he carried  Missy, who was not breathing, to the back of the house where he started compressions on her chest.

Missy was coming around, but the fire was growing so he carried her around the front of the house and to a next door neighbor’s home, where he continued to work on her chest until firefighters arrived.

The firefighters used oxygen on the dog when they arrived.

“She went through four tanks of oxygen. The firefighters took care of her,” Northrop said.

The fire singed Northrop’s hair and he had some breathing issues . He said the nursing room doctor said his lungs should be back to normal within a week.

Northrup said he went back in to the house because the dog was important to him.

“I didn’t care about anything else. Sometimes she’s all I have,” he said.

Ashtabula Fire Department Captain Jeff Giantonio said people going into burning buildings for pets or valuables is not recommended.


By Warren Dillaway - Star Beacon, Ashtabula, Ohio (MCT)

©2014 the Star Beacon (Ashtabula, Ohio)

Visit the Star Beacon (Ashtabula, Ohio) at www.starbeacon.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos