Space heater catches wall on fire in Norwalk residence

Aaron Krause • Jan 12, 2014 at 10:54 PM

A space heater being used to thaw pipes caught a wall on fire at a Reed Street residence, causing about $5,000 in damages but no injuries, Norwalk firefighter Ben Luxon said.

The Norwalk Fire Department responded to the call a little after 5:17 p.m. with four trucks and used about 300 gallons of water to extinguish the fire, Luxon said. They fire was controlled at 6:30 and firefighters departed at 6:34.

According to a report, firefighters arrived to find contents on fire in the kitchen/bathroom area. The fire was extinguished in single-digit temperatures using a 1 3/4 inch attack line.

Luxon said chances are more pipes will freeze as the winter progresses. He urged people to be careful while using space heaters to thaw frozen pipes.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos