Fire causes $80,000 in damage

Cary Ashby • Aug 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Firefighters are confident an electrical issue caused the barn fire early Sunday at 2586 Halfway Road.

“There’s nothing suspicious. No — not at all,” said Chief Tom Beck, of the Huron River Joint Fire District.

The barn and its contents were destroyed. The stored items included some lawnmowers, two all-terrain vehicles, a golf cart, a Rhino dune buggy-type vehicle, a new rototiller and some antiques.

“The (damage) estimate is going to be $80,000 — give or take $10,000. The insurance company is continuing to investigate,” Beck said Tuesday.

Monroeville-area firefighters received a 9-1-1 call at 3:52 a.m. Sunday. A woman who lives between U.S. 20 and Halfway Road was one of the first callers about the Peru Township fire.

“When she turned around in driveway, she could see it,” said Beck, who credited the woman for going to the victims’ home and alerting the residents. “When they looked, it was pretty much the framing left. It already had done its damage.”

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered all that was left was the framing.

“It had been burning for quite some time before it was noticed,” Beck said.

“Another neighbor could hear some explosions. … That could have been gas cans,” the chief said.

Huron River requested mutual aid from the Norwalk Fire Department at 4:08 a.m. The two-man crew responded with a tanker and used about 1,800 gallons of water in the shuttle service.

Eighteen Huron River firefighters brought five trucks and used about 12,000 gallons of water. The fire was under control in about 30 minutes.

“We believe (it started) in the northwest side of the building,” Beck said.

In addition to all the contents of the barn, the fire damaged some siding on the house, which is about 50 feet away. The plastic on the inside of an aboveground swimming pool located nearly 30 feet away melted.

“They had a brand new rototiller in (the barn). … It was downstairs,” Beck said. “They collected antiques.”

Norwalk firefighters were at the scene 45 minutes. The Huron River crew arrived at 4 a.m. and left at 6:03.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos