no avatar

Norwalk teen injured in rollover crash

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Jun 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM

A teenager was injured after a one-vehicle, roll-over accident Friday night on South Norwalk Road.

Calvin Riley, 18, of 2015 N. Old State Road, "was trapped in the vehicle," Huron County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Ted Patrick said. The circumstances of the crash are not yet available.

(NOTE - To see pictures of the accident, click HERE.)

Three Norwalk firefighters responded to the crash site at 391 E. South Norwalk Road at 10:04 p.m. Deputies and North Central EMS also responded to the scene. Lt. Brett Beers said the Chevrolet four-door car rolled over and landed on its wheels.

Firefighters used the Jaws of Life to extricate Riley by removing the rear and front driver's side doors, Beers said. The crew cleaned up debris and stood by until a wrecker removed the car from the scene. Firefighters were at the scene for about one hour and 10 minutes.

North Central EMS transported Riley to Fisher-Titus Medical Center with unspecified injuries.

"I don't know anything about (his) injuries," Patrick said.

The crash remains under investigation.

As a 13-year-old in May 2009, Riley fled the state in a stolen 2003 Chevrolet pickup truck with a .22 caliber rifle in it. The case was covered by CNN, the Associated Press and other national media outlets.

Prosecutors released Riley's name to the media because he left behind a journal with the names of 33 Norwalk Catholic School (NCS) classmates and teachers who were indirectly threatened and authorities suspected he was despondent. Defense attorney Jim Sitterly said the boy's letter was a "transfer of property" to his friends.

Investigators said they suspected Riley intended to drive to Florida. There were rumors Riley took the rifle to hunt and intended to live off the land wherever he decided to stay.

The incident set off a manhunt led by the local sheriff's office. The Norwalk Police Department and one helicopter each from North Central EMS and the state Highway Patrol helped search locally for Riley.

Riley voluntarily surrendered himself to Dayton, Tenn. police the next day.

"He obviously made several bad choices, but he made a very good choice to call his mother and turn himself in," Patrick said at the time.

Authorities found a second rifle, 400 rounds of ammunition and $450 in cash in the truck.

"He had just gotten tired and wanted to go home," Dayton Police Chief Chris Sneed told The Herald-News, which covers Dayton and the Rhea County area and named the case its eighth story in its top-10 2009 stories. "He was almost in a 'help me' mode."

Riley remained in custody in Tennessee until Sheriff Dane Howard and Deputy Todd Corbin traveled there to retrieve him. After being in custody for a few weeks at the Sandusky County Juvenile Detention Center, the boy was released to the custody of his parents on electronically-monitored house arrest. The GPS ankle bracelet was removed by court order later.

"I knew I was going to run away," Riley told Huron County Juvenile Court Judge Timothy Cardwell.

"I told people not to come looking for me. ... If anybody came after me, I might use the gun or commit suicide," Riley said. "I didn't know law enforcement would come after me."

As part of his rules of house arrest, the boy was prohibited from being in public aside from attending church or counseling and had a no-association order with NCS staff or students. He also was prohibited from being on any NCS premises.

History virtually repeated itself Sept. 10 of that year when Riley's parents reported him missing at 6:33 a.m.

Riley again fled his rural Norwalk home, this time in a 1994 GMC pickup truck stolen from a Moriah Road home, about 1 1/2 miles away. The truck, which had about 3/4 tank full of gasoline, was parked in the driveway of the victim's home.

He was apprehended just before 3 p.m. that day in the La Point United Methodist Church parking lot in Oak Harbor in the stolen truck.

While in Ottawa County, Riley broke into a stranger's home by smashing a window with a tool to use the telephone. Once inside, the boy called a friend's parent and tried to find his friend, police said. After tracing the number to the residence, Carroll Township police responded, but didn't find Riley or the truck, only evidence of the break-in.

Riley, who turned 14 that year, wound up in custody at the Northern Ohio Juvenile Community Corrections Facility.

He remained out of the news until now.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos