no avatar

Details of chase, fatal shooting revealed in state report

TNS Regional News • Jun 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM

A report released today by the state Bureau of Criminal Investigation provides more details about March's fatal shooting of David Stahl by a Coshocton County deputy sheriff after a two-county pursuit.

Deputy Ernest Snyder was cleared of wrongdoing last month after Coshocton County Prosecutor Jason Given, using the report, determined that Snyder had acted in self-defense. Stahl, 20, attempted to run over Snyder and another deputy with his truck, the report says.

The pursuit began when a New Concord police officer attempted to stop Stahl for a traffic violation. Stahl, of Killbuck in Holmes County, refused to stop, and a 27-minute pursuit at speeds of up to 80 mph began.

It ended when Snyder intentionally bumped Stahl’s rear bumper, spinning him down the embankment on the north side of Rt. 36 about 12 miles west of I-77 in Coshocton County.

According to the report, Stahl then drove at Snyder and another deputy who were out of their cruisers. Snyder fired four shots, including the fatal shot that stuck Stahl in the left temple.

The report released today revealed that Stahl was talking on his cellphone to a juvenile, who was identified only by initials, during at least part of the chase.

Stahl and the boy, a runaway from Richland County, had lived together for about a month at the Apple Butter Inn Bed and Breakfast in Roscoe Village, where owner William Crouso said they worked for their room and board.

The youth told investigators that he and Stahl were lovers and were engaged to be married. He said Stahl had left that night to visit a friend and had texted him on the way home, saying he was about to be stopped by the police.

The boy’s father, who was present when his son was questioned, said Stahl was “easily frightened and would run at the presence of any type of threat or fear.”

The boy later told BCI Agent Charlie Snyder that he “encouraged Stahl to run from police and now realized he should have told Stahl to stop.” The boy began crying during the interview and told Snyder he felt guilty for telling Stahl to run.

Stahl died at Grant Medical Center in Columbus just before 4 a.m. on March 27, the day after he was shot.


By Eric Lyttle - The Columbus Dispatch, Ohio (MCT)

©2013 The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio)

Visit The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio) at www.dispatch.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos