Two men held at gunpoint in Willard

Cary Ashby • Apr 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

A Willard man accused of pistol-whipping another man while holding him captive must post a $30,000 bond before being released from custody.

The Willard Police Department arrested Ryan Branham, 24, of 313 Woodland Ave. Apt. B, when he was hiding in the attic of a residence in the 500 block of South Main Street. While searching the attic Thursday, police said they located a .45 caliber handgun and other items reportedly belonging to Branham. Officers seized the items as evidence.

On Wednesday, two men reported being held captive at Branham's Woodland Avenue apartment.

"The two victims came to his house. ... They never really said (why)," Chief Mark Holden said.

"He (Branham) ended up pulling a gun and holding them for 10 to 12 hours. One of the guys tried to leave and he pistol-whipped him," the chief said.

The victims were treated at Mercy Willard Hospital. One victim was transferred to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo due to having a fractured eye socket.

"The victims identified the alleged assailant as Ryan Branham. The victims advised that one of them was able to jump out a window and the other was able to flee from the front door," Holden said.

Police attempted to locate Branham, but the residence appeared to be empty.

A warrant was issued Wednesday for Branham's arrest. Officers used a search warrant at the suspect's apartment Thursday.

Agents from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation processed the scene and recovered blood and .45 ACP ammunition. Authorities also discovered a pistol holster.

Later Thursday afternoon, officers were advised Branham was at another residence in Willard. Holden said the South Main Street residents reportedly are friends with Branham.

"They let us come in. They didn't know he had done something supposedly," the chief added.

At Mercy Willard, Branham was treated for minor injuries he sustained from hiding in the attic. He later was transported to the Huron County Jail.

Branham was charged with felonious assault. If convicted, he faces two to eight years in prison and a maximum fine of $15,000.

"Additional charges are expected to be filed in this case," Holden said.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos