Stabber pleads 'not guilty' to New Year's Day incident

Cary Ashby • Apr 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM

A former Bellevue man was arraigned Monday on an allegation he stabbed a relative's best friend three times in the stomach.

Paul L. Herriott Jr., 34, now of Sandusky, pleaded "not guilty" Monday to felonious assault in connection with a New Year's Day incident on North Buckeye Street. His Huron County Common Pleas Court trial is set for July 9.

Herriott "did knowingly cause or attempted to cause physical harm by means of a deadly weapon," according to his indictment.

About 6 a.m. Jan. 1, Bellevue Hospital staff members reported treating a 28-year-old Clyde man who came into the emergency room with three stab wounds to his stomach.

The victim, who couldn't remember Herriott's last name at the time, said he went to a friend's house and got into an argument with Herriott about 4 a.m. when the suspect grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed him, Bellevue Police Detective Eric Burt said.

"He got stitched up at The Bellevue Hospital and was released the next morning," Burt said.

Officers weren't able to find the victim's Chevrolet Cobalt at the North Buckeye Street residence, but later found the car in the Norfolk Southern railroad yard.

Burt, who initially only had Herriott's first name, determined the suspect reportedly was Herriott after the victim provided the names of two friends.

Officers found Herriott at his Bellevue residence about 1 p.m. and arrested him without incident.

Police, in a report, described the residence as "mess," saying "it appeared some sort of physical altercation took place recently." Officers reported finding several pieces of a broken coffee table, which was made of PVC piping, "all over the downstairs floor" as well as pieces of tan or brownish glass.

Herriott initially denied knowing the victim, Burt said, but later admitted he went to a bar with him and two friends.

"He still denied stabbing him. I think alcohol had a little affect on his memory," Burt said.

As police placed Herriott in a cruiser, officers said they noticed a blood stain on Herriott's coat sleeve. Police seized the coat as evidence.

Herriott remains out on a $30,090 bond.

Recommended for You