Neighbors come to aid of local couple whose house is on fire

Cary Ashby • Feb 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Talk about good neighbors.

The neighbors of a New London family saw that their house was on fire and notified them, getting the husband and wife out safely. Dispatchers with the Huron County Sheriff's Office received a call at 8:33 p.m. Friday about the structure fire at 113 High St.

"The neighbors saw it and went over and told them and they (the husband and wife) got out," New London Volunteer Fire Chief John Chapin said.

The couple's daughter wasn't home.

"It's a two-story house. They had a wood burner," Chapin said.

The stove has a stainless steel chimney with an 8-inch pipe that goes on the outside of the house and through the overhang. Chapin said the chimney "failed" about where the gutters are.

"When we got there, it was burning through the chimney and burning up into the attic space," Chapin said.

Firefighters had to pull down part of the ceiling in a bedroom in order to access the attic.

"We could not fit through (the access)," Chapin said.

The family is living in the back downstairs of the house. Chapin said while the house is habitable, the family might have to find somewhere else to live when the remodeling process starts.

"(There is) a lot of water damage," he added.

Thirteen firefighters were on scene about two hours. Firelands Electric also responded.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos