Drunk man tries to urinate on police officers issuing him paperwork

Cary Ashby • Jan 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Two Wakeman officers were assaulted Tuesday night during the arrest of a highly intoxicated Wakeman Township resident.

Leon E. Hunt, 35, of 5571 U.S. 20 rear, Wakeman, was arrested and charged with two counts of assaulting a police officer and a single charge each of driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license.

"Neither of the officers were injured," Chief Tim Hunker said.

Hunt, after reportedly refusing field sobriety tests, is accused of running from officers during a traffic stop in the Riverview Mobile Home Park.

"He got 10 to 15 feet from the vehicle he was operating," Hunker said.

"During the struggle, (Hunt) grabbed both officers and later used his chest and legs while handcuffed to strike at them. He threatened both of them as well. He had to be pepper-sprayed at one point," the chief said.

Police requested assistance from the Huron County Sheriff's Office. Dispatchers notified Sheriff Dane Howard plus six other deputies and sent Citizens Ambulance to the scene.

The incident started about 9:45 p.m. when police were on patrol and stopped by a motorist about Hunt's supposedly erratic driving.

"She told police that she was nearly rear-ended by Hunt's vehicle on two occasions," Hunker said.

"Officers then observed Hunt as he pulled onto East Main (Street) and traveled eastbound from the BP gas station in Wakeman," he said. "There were also multiple open containers of alcohol found in the vehicle (about) which he has not been charged with at this time."

Hunt later denied treatment from Citizens Ambulance. Hunker said paramedics transported the suspect to the Fisher-Titus Medical Center emergency room "for clearance for incarceration."

While at the hospital, Hunt reportedly "attempted to urinate on officers while they issued him his legal paperwork," the chief said.

"He was in the emergency room. ... They (the officers) were able to get out of the way," Hunker said.

Hunt eventually was taken to the Huron County Jail to await a bond hearing.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos