Suspected armed robber asks to plea guilty but attorney says no

Cary Ashby • Jan 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM

A suspected armed robber told the public defender he wants to plead guilty.

Eugene A. Stallard, 32, of 2190 E. U.S. 20, Monroeville, is charged with aggravated robbery in connection with a Dec. 18 armed robbery at Mickey Mart, 123 Whittlesey Ave. If convicted of the first-degree felony, he faces three to 11 years in prison.

"I want to plead guilty," Stallard said to Huron County Public Defender David Longo before Monday's arraignment.

"I can't plead you guilty at an arraignment," Longo told him.

Stallard entered a "not guilty" plea Monday. As conditions of his $75,000 bond, the defendant is prohibited from being on the premises of Mickey Mart and can't have any association with the male victim.

The Norwalk Police Department was alerted about the robbery at 2:10 a.m. Dec. 18.

The clerk reported Stallard was wearing all black and reportedly brandished a "Rambo-style knife," which was about 11 inches long, police said.

"He had the knife and demanded the money from the register," Capt. Mike Conney said shortly after Stallard's arrest.

The suspect fled the scene on foot, heading west on League Street.

About five minutes after the crime, Officer Zack O'Neil reported seeing Stallard on foot at a Bank Street driveway as the officer was driving through the area in his cruiser, Conney said.

"He fit the description that was given, so Zack ordered him to stop," Conney said. "He did (stop) momentarily. He decided not to stay around and he took off."

A knife appeared to fall out of Stallard's waistband as he ran.

"Other items also began falling," Conney said, referring to a black scarf, black zip-up coat, two blue latex gloves and a black backpack.

Stallard was arrested without further incident after he reportedly stumbled on the ground. Police estimate the foot pursuit covered 40 yards.

While the officer searched Stallard, he reported finding a large wad of money totaling $208 in the right front pocket of the suspect's pants, Conney said. Police seized the knife, clothing articles and backpack that reportedly fell during the chase plus Stallard's tennis shoes and a black stocking cap as evidence.

Once Stallard was secured in a cruiser, he told police: "I messed up real bad."

Stallard has remained in the Huron County Jail since his arrest. His trial is scheduled for March 12.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos