Farm animals die in chicken coop fire

Cary Ashby • Oct 27, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Many farm animals died after a fire in a chicken coop early Friday morning.

Forty-two small chickens, a pheasant and two ferrets died in the fire in the 8 foot-by-8 foot chicken coop at 11130 County Road, Clyde, in Seneca County. The coop storing the animals was destroyed as was the 35-foot-by-16 foot shed full of wood on the Thompson Township property southwest of Bellevue owned by Paul and Mary Reed.

Bellevue firefighters reported both structures were in two piles by time they arrived.

Firefighters were called to respond to a wood fire near a barn and it was only later that the crew determined two of the three burning piles they found at the scene were the remains of the coop and shed. It's unknown how long the buildings had been burning when someone called authorities.

The crew was called at 12:49 a.m. and responded with 13 firefighters. Two Green Springs firefighters brought a tanker.

Several trees caught fire. Township trustee Steve Shwartz was called in to spread out the burning wood with a backhoe.

Firefighters determined the apparent cause was a heat lamp from the coop that caught fire. Damage was estimated at $12,250.

The Bellevue crew returned to the station at 6:25 a.m.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos