Local fast-food restaurant evacuated

Cary Ashby • Oct 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Bellevue's Burger King had to be evacuated after a soda machine hose ruptured.

The 9-1-1 call came into the Bellevue Police Department at 2:21 p.m. Sunday as a possible carbon dioxide (CO2) explosion. Nine Bellevue firefighters responded five minutes later, with Lt. Tony Schaffer in charge of the scene at Burger King, 711 W. Main St.

Employees heard some metal banging and saw "a white cloud" in the area of the canisters for the soda machine, according to the report. Firefighters determined an employee had filled the tank with about 200 pounds of product just before the incident and the CO2 hose had ruptured, which released the carbon dioxide.

There was no fire and no injuries.

Firefighters ventilated the fast-food restaurant and returned to the station at 3:15 p.m.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos